Thursday, October 30, 2008

CHICKEN POT PIE


There is an Irish pub by our house that has delicious pot pie. It is creamy and comforting. I've made the old Bisquick with cream of chicken soup pot pie. It's okay when you are in a hurry, but doesn't hold a candle to MacCool's pot pie. I combined three recipes to make this one. It is fabulous. My pie crust was courtesy of Pillsbury-I did take that short cut. Everything else is good home cookin'. (Shout out to Traci-I know you can O.D. on pot pie, but this one is yummy!)

CHICKEN POT PIE

1 c. potato, diced
1/3 c. onion, chopped
1 c. celery, diced
1 c. carrot,
1 c. chicken, cooked and diced
1/3 c. melted butter
1/2 c. flour
1 can (14 oz.) chicken broth
1 c. half and half (whipping cream will work)
1 t. salt
1/4 t. black pepper
1/4 t. ground thyme
1/4 t. celer salt
1 bay leaf
2 pie crusts

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Melt butter, add flour stirring constantly.
  3. Slowly add broth and whisk until smooth, bring to a boil.
  4. Add bay leaf, celery, onion, and carrots. Cook until tender.
  5. Add potatoes, chicken, and seasonings. Cook about 5 minutes. Stir constantly.
  6. Stir in half and half. Remove bay leaf.
  7. Press one pie crust into a 2 quart dish. Pour filling into crust.
  8. Top with 2nd crust and pinch shut. Cut slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
  9. Bake for 40-50 minutes until pastry is golden brown. If it gets too dark, cover with foil.

1 comment:

Traci said...

I was thinking of making one of these next week. I even already bought the pre-made pie crusts. I will make your's and let you know what we think. I am sure it is delicious.