Tuesday, November 4, 2008

WHITE DINNER ROLLS


Winter weather has hit our fair state. The cool temperatures make me want to bake bread and make soup. You just can't have soup, stew, or chili without hot bread or rolls. It's like shoes & socks, Bert & Ernie, PB & J (you get the picture!) My husband's aunt makes the best rolls in the world. But when I make these rolls, my husband says I could give her a run for her money. I must admit, they are pretty yummy rolls. We generally eat the whole pan in one meal. Most of the time we burn our fingers peeling them out of the pan before they are cooled. Since I'm in the mood for hot bread, look forward to more recipes for different bread ideas. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of making bagels later today. If it works out, I'll share. If not, I'll work at it until I get it right. Enjoy!

White Dinner Rolls - Betty Crocker

3 1/2 TO 3 3/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. butter
1 t. salt
1 pkg. yeast (2 1/4 t.)
1/2 c. very warm water
1/2 c. very warm milk
1 egg
butter for melting over completed rolls

  1. Mix 2 cups flour, sugar, 1/4 c. butter, salt, and yeast. Add warm water, milk, and egg. Beat on low 1 minute. Beat on medium 1 minute. Add enough flour to handle dough.
  2. Knead 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
  3. Grease 9 x 13 pan.
  4. Punch down dough. Divide into 15 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Place in pan and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
  5. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 - 15 minutes. Spread melted butter over baked rolls.

No comments: