Monday, November 17, 2008

EGG ROLLS

My husband isn't a big fan of Chinese food so I either have to make it myself or talk someone into going out with me. I love Chinese food and egg rolls are one of my favorites. This is something everyone in my family likes. I found this recipe in an old ward cookbook. It's pretty simple and I think I've learned a few things to perfect the recipe.

First, you need to fry these quickly. If your oil is not hot enough, too much oil will be absorbed and they will taste greasy. I've tried frying these two ways. Either way works fine, it just depends on what pans you have.
  • Saucepan-Fill with vegetable oil and heat it to medium. I have a gas stove, so if I put the dial right in the middle, the flame is perfect. To test it, break off a tiny piece of the egg roll wrapper and drop it in the oil. It should crisp up and turn bubbly quickly.
  • Frying pan skillet-This is like the deep skillet you would fry chicken in. You will need to be able to put a couple of inches of oil in it. I start by setting the temperature dial to 350 degrees. Test a piece of the egg roll wrapper. If it doesn't brown quickly enough, slowly turn up the heat a little.
Second, you need to let these drain on paper towels before serving. A lot of oil will drain out and they will taste better if you let them drain for a few minutes.

Finally, these are better the first day you make them. The recipe makes about 16 egg rolls. If you aren't going to eat that many, cut the recipe in half. If you must re-heat, bake them at 350 for about 5 minutes on each side. Microwaving makes them too soggy.

EGG ROLLS

1 lb. ground meat, browned (hamburger, chicken, pork)
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/2 of a Chinese (Napa) cabbage, chopped (You can add more if you want to, I like a lot.)
1 carrot, shredded
2 c. rice sticks, cooked according to package directions. Use about 1/3 of a dry package. These look like thin, white ramen noodles and can be found in the Asian food section of the grocery store. Mine were in an orange package labeled Dynasty Maifun.
1 t. onion powder
1 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. ginger
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 package egg roll wrappers. Look in the refrigerated produce section of the store.

Mix cooked meat, onions, cabbage, and cooked rice sticks. The amounts of seasonings are a starting point. If you like more or less ginger, adjust to your taste. I mix everything and then add the salt and pepper, sprinkling, and tasting as I go.

Lay egg roll wrapper out in a diamond shape. Place about 1/3 c. mixture in the center of the wrapper. Fold the bottom corner up, then the side corners. It should look like an open envelope. Dab a little water on the top corner before finishing the final corner fold. Instructions for rolling are usually on the wrapper.








Fry in hot oil about one minute on each side. Start the skillet temperature at 350 degrees. Test heat by frying a small piece of egg roll wrapper. Egg rolls should look golden brown, not too dark.

SWEET & SOUR SAUCE

1/2 c. brown sugar
6 oz. pineapple juice (When you drain pineapple, save the juice and freeze it. It turns out to be about 6 oz. Perfect for this sauce or smoothies.)
2 T. white vinegar
1 T. cornstarch
1/4 c. ketchup

Mix brown sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Add vinegar and juice. Cook on high stirring constantly until thickened. Add ketchup after sauce has thickened.

1 comment:

Traci said...

It's a date.. Next time I am in town you me and Chinese food. It is my favorite also. I also put in Chopped up water chestnuts when I make them. I have not made these for awhile. I think this will have to go on next weeks list.