Wednesday, November 5, 2008

BAGELS


Woo-hoo! The bagels worked. I'm so excited. This recipe makes 8 regular sized bagels. It was so easy! I always thought that it would be really time consuming but I was done in about an hour and a half and a lot of the time I was waiting for the dough to rest. I did half plain and sprinkled cinnamon-sugar on the other half. They disappeared quickly. I've always loved bagels and now I can have them fresh out of the oven anytime. If you try them, let me know what you think.

BAGELS

4 c. flour
1 T. sugar
1 1/2 t. salt
1 T. vegetable oil
2 t. yeast
1 1/2 c. warm water

  1. Mix all ingredients in your mixing bowl. Dough should feel a little bit stiff. Knead for about 10 minutes.
  2. Cut dough into 8 balls, let rest 20 minutes.
  3. Roll into a snake on the counter. Wrap into a circle and pinch the ends together.
  4. Let rest 20 minutes.
  5. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  6. Bring a pot of water to boil, grease a large cookie sheet.
  7. After 20 minutes the dough should be puffy. Drop them into boiling water without crowding them. Boil 1 minute, then flip over and boil 1 more minute. Place on an oiled baking tray. You can dust tray with cornmeal if desired.
  8. Bake for 10 minutes, flip over, bake for another 10 minutes.
  9. Let cool and enjoy!
  10. To add toppings sprinkle the topping on a plate and dip boiled bagel in topping. Suggestions: cinnamon-sugar, poppy seeds, asiago cheese.

No comments: