Monday, October 13, 2008

GRANDMA NIDA'S APPLESAUCE OATMEAL COOKIES




These are the cookies that legends are made of. Seriously, secret family recipe. Story has it that when Grandma passed away, her freezer was filled with delicious baked goods. Several dozen of these cookies were included in the stash. The family savored every last crumb of every special cookie and roll that she had stored. When we first got married these were the only cookies my husband wanted. He would not eat any other type of cookie. I quit making cookies until I finally gave in and learned how to make this family favorite. I must admit, they are pretty terrific. Confession: I've let my kids eat them for breakfast. With all of the oatmeal and applesauce they've got to be better than sugared cereal, right? Happy baking!

GRANDMA NIDA'S APPLESAUCE OATMEAL COOKIES

2 c. sugar
1 c. shortening
2 eggs
2 c. applesauce
2 t. baking soda
4-5 c. flour
2 t. nutmeg
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt
2 c. raisins (optional)
2 c. oatmeal
2 c. chocolate chips

Cream sugar and shortening until fluffy. Add eggs. Add spices and salt. In a separate bowl stir soda into applesauce. Add applesauce and soda mixture alternately with flour a 1/2 cup at a time. Mix well. Add raisins, oatmeal and chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoon on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees until slightly brown, about 11-14 minutes.

2 comments:

Sandymom said...

My lovely daughter Harmony Pearce shared you blog address with me and she is right, it is terrific. I will enjoy trying some of your recipes and checking your sight out often. Thanks for sharing

The Recipe Reviewer said...

Sandymom, I'm glad you found me. Harmony is an awesome friend.