Monday, October 27, 2008

MEATLOAF, BLACK PEPPER GRAVY


To perfectly honest, I used to dread dinner time when my mom would say we were having meatloaf. Luckily, she didn't like it that much either so we didn't have it very often. It always seemed like a glob of greasy hamburger with ketchup on it. One day my husband asked why we never ate meatloaf. He was craving it. I told him I hated it. I always like to cook food that my family likes so I went on a quest to find a good meatloaf recipe. This one is totally yummy. I love the subtle flavor of green peppers. I usually serve this with baked potatoes or mashed potatoes. Ya know-good old meat and potatoes satisfies your tummy. We love the black pepper gravy at Chili's on their loaded mashed potatoes. I found this gravy recipe on the internet a while ago. I couldn't even tell you which website. I don't remember where the meatloaf recipe came from either-probably from a late night web search. Anyway, I hope you like it.

MEAT LOAF

2 eggs, beaten
1/4 c. milk
2 c. soft bread crumbs (this is where you sneak in whole grain bread-ha-ha!)
3/4 c. chopped onion (you can also use 1 T. dried onion flakes)
1/3 c. finely chopped green pepper (chop the whole thing and freeze the rest for next time)
1 1/2 t. salt
2 lbs. ground beef
1/4 c. ketchup

Combing all ingredients but ketchup. Press into a loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Drain grease. Spread with ketchup. Bake another 15 minutes. Let stand 10 m inutes before slicing. You can freeze up to 3 months. YIELD: 8 servings

BLACK PEPPER GRAVY

2 T. butter
2 T. flour
2 c. milk (I like whole milk)
1 t. salt
3/4 t. black pepper

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in flour and saute until light brown. Add milk whisking constantly. Add salt and pepper.

1 comment:

Traci said...

Ok, Tuesday night was a success with this recipe. They especially liked the gravy.