Tuesday, January 6, 2009

TAFFY APPLE SALAD


My SIL got this recipe from her husband's aunt. She made it for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago and I couldn't stop eating it. Forget leftover turkey, I think I had at least three additional servings of this salad. It's one that you have to think about a day ahead because of some refrigeration that's involved but it's worth it.

TAFFY APPLE SALAD

2 c. apples, chopped, unpeeled (I usually use 2 granny smith and one red gala. I like the sweet and sour and the color combination.)
1 container whipped topping
1 can pineapple chunks
2 c. miniature marshmallows
1 egg, well beaten
1/2 c. sugar
1 T. flour
1 1/2 T. white vinegar
1/2 c. Spanish peanuts

  1. Drain the pineapple and save the juice in a small saucepan.
  2. Combine the pineapple chunks with the marshmallows in a covered bowl and refrigerate overnight.
  3. In the sauce pan, mix the pineapple juice with the sugar, flour, egg, and vinegar. Heat to boil over medium heat. Whisk continually. It should thicken after a few minutes. Cool and refrigerate overnight.
  4. The next day fold the juice mixture with the thawed whipped topping. Then mix in the apples, pineapple, and marshmallows.
  5. Sprinkle individual servings with peanuts just before serving.

1 comment:

Traci said...

I am glad you posted this one. I loved it when you made it for us.