Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ham-Chive Brunch Bake


My kids think this is a different version of pizza. I let them think that because then they eat it. I like that fact that it has veggies (tomatoes, mushrooms), dairy (cheese, milk), and protein (eggs and ham.) It's an all in one dish that I can use to sneak a little of everything into their diet. (I told you I was a sneaky mom!) Frequently I make this as a dinner dish but it is also a delicious, flavorful breakfast and is something unique you could take to a potluck. I hope you enjoy it!

HAM-CHIVE BRUNCH BAKE-Taste of Home 2002

3 green onions, sliced (or 1/2 c. chopped onion...I like the flavor of green onions and they look prettier sprinkled on top.)
1 T. butter
3/4 c. chopped ham (You could use 1, 5 oz. can chunk ham, sliced deli meat, or leftover ham. I always make this dish after I've cooked a ham.)
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
2 c. Bisquick
1/2 c. water
1 c. shredded Swiss cheese
2 eggs
1/4 c. milk
1/4 t. dill weed
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
3 T. minced, fresh chives (If I don't have fresh I just sprinkle dried chives over the top.)
Sliced mushrooms (if you like them.)

  1. Melt butter in a skillet. Saute onions until tender. Stir in ham, tomato, and mushrooms. Set aside.
  2. In a bowl, combine biscuit mix and water. Press onto the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
  3. Spread ham mixture over the crust. Sprinkle with cheese.
  4. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, milk, dill, salt, and pepper. pour over the cheese. Sprinkle with chives.
  5. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
  6. Cut into slices and serve.

No comments: