Thursday, January 22, 2009

Chili


My favorite chili recipe comes from the Betty Crocker Bridal Edition cookbook. It's simple, not too spicy, and makes just enough for our family without leaving a huge pot of leftovers. I'm not a big fan of leftovers. I would much rather cook dinner every night than eat something that has been sitting in the fridge for a few days. Anyway, if you are serving more than four people you might want to double it. I have one child that only eats the beans (go figure) so I like to add an additional can of beans. Serve it with yummy cornbread and you've got a tummy warming meal.

CHILI

1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 T. chili powder
3/4 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained

  1. Cook beef, onion, and garlic together. It's best to let the beef cook for a minute until some of the grease turns to liquid. This way you don't scorch the garlic and onion. Drain and set aside.
  2. Stir all remaining ingredients except beans in a large pot. Add beef. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes stirring occasionally. The cookbook says one hour but I think too much liquid cooks out of it.
  3. Stir in beans. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered until it reaches your desired thickness.
  4. Sprinkle with shredded Cheddar and top with sour cream if desired.

2 comments:

Paul said...

that looks really good. I like my chili a little on the spicy side so I would probably "kick it up a notch"

The Recipe Reviewer said...

We're kind of wimps at this house.