Saturday, January 24, 2009

Creamy Italian Chicken


On Thursday, I got this dish all prepared, put it in the slow cooker, and left it for a couple of hours. Imagine my surprise when at dinnertime, the chicken was raw (thankfully it was frozen.) It turns out the you have to plug in the appliance to make it work. Ha-ha. I quickly whipped up some Creamy Broccoli soup and stuck the slow cooker in the refrigerator.

I first learned about this recipe in college when we were sitting in the lab shooting the breeze and swapping dinner ideas. That was (never mind you don't want to know how many years ago.) Anyway, it's simple, and fast. And, I've been making it for a long time. Just remember to plug in your appliance and it will cook itself. Serve it over pasta or rice and steam a vegetable for a balanced meal.

CREAMY ITALIAN CHICKEN

4 -6 chicken breasts
1 pkg dry Italian dressing mix (or 1 cup of bottled Italian dressing)
1 block (8 oz.) cream cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup

Combine cream cheese, soup, and dressing. I like to use my Braun hand mixer to make it creamy. You could also use a blender. Lumps of unmelted cream cheese are unappetizing to eat and look at on your plate. Add chicken. I use a slow cooker. On high it will be done within about two hours or set it on low to cook all day. Serve over egg noodles or steamed rice.

5 comments:

Traci said...

I did that once with a roast. You are amazing though cooking another dish. I just ordered a pizza..

Paul said...

do you pound the chicken breasts first or just leave them natrual?

The Recipe Reviewer said...

Paul, if I'm using fresh chicken breasts I do pound them. It cooks more evenly and seems to be more tender. If I use those quick frozen chicken breasts in the bag like you get at Costco, I don't do anything...they are usually flat enough.

Traci, I never thought of doing this with a roast...hmm, new dinner idea?

Jenni S said...

I'm so excited to make some of your recipes! Tiff told me about your blog. I'll be checking it often, I love having new ideas for dinner.

The Recipe Reviewer said...

Jenni, I'm so glad she shared the site. I hope you find something worth making.