Monday, January 26, 2009

Creamy Broccoli Soup


My friend, HP, invited us over for dinner and served this soup. It was delicious so naturally I asked for the recipe. I love it because the ingredients are things that I almost always have on hand. I buy the broccoli from Sam's Club in a huge 3 lb. bag, already cut up, for less than $4.00. That's a steal! I always feel cheated when I purchase broccoli by the pound and end up throwing a large portion of the stems in the garbage. Now that I've discovered this little secret I never buy broccoli at a regular grocery store unless it is on sale. Yes, I'm cheap. I hope you enjoy this soup as a side or a meal. Don't forget the fresh baked rolls to go with it!

BROCCOLI SOUP

1 1/2 lbs. broccoli or cauliflower, chopped (sometimes I do half of each)
6 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 cube butter
1 small onion or 2 T. dried onion
3/4 c. flour
2 c. milk
1 can evaporated milk

  1. Combine 2 c. water, broccoli and bouillon in a pot and boil until it reaches your desired tenderness. I don't like it too soggy, it should still have a tiny bit of crunch left in it.
  2. Saute butter and onion.
  3. Now we will make a roux. Add the flour to the butter mixture. It will be really, really thick, almost like play dough.
  4. Whisk in the milk a little at a time. Whisk in the evaporated milk until smooth. Cook on low until thick, about 10 minutes. Pour into broccoli mixture.
  5. Do not boil! The milk will curdle if the heat gets too high.
  6. Serve topped with shredded cheese. Yum!

No comments: