Thursday, December 18, 2008

RICE AND TORTILLAS


I was curious about how to make homemade tortillas. In talking to a neighbor (LB) I discovered she had a grandma that had shared this skill with her. A friend and I asked her to teach us. It was really quite simple. She used masa and added water a little at a time until it was the consistency of playdough. The brand Maseca has all the instructions on the side panel. Just follow the instructions and you'll have yummy hot tortillas right off the griddle.

A couple of tips:




  • Add water a little at a time. Use your hands to mix so you can feel the texture of the dough. It should feel like playdough. Roll into 1-inch balls.





  • A tortilla press is a good investment. I found one for $13.00 at Kitchen Kneads. If you don't have a press, squish the dough ball between two plates that are lined with plastic.
  • Cut the zipper part off of a ziploc bag to line the press (plates) with. After pressing, lift the plastic off the press (the dough will come with it) then you can peel the plastic off the dough.
  • Cook for about one minute on each side on an ungreased griddle.
This friend also shared a yummy rice recipe. Once you make this, you'll never need to purchase a box of Rice-a-roni again. It's simple and can be ready to eat in less than 30 minutes. We like to put this rice in the homemade tortillas for a simple dinner. You could also serve it as a side dish. Try changing the vegetables to add variety.

RICE

1 1/2 c. rice
3 c. water
1-2 T. butter
1 carrot, shredded
3 chicken bouillon cubes
garlic powder
onion salt
pepper
frozen peas
2-3 scrambled eggs
pieces of chicken or ham

Melt butter in skillet. Saute rice in butter until browned. Carefully add water, it will steam quite a bit. Quickly add shaved carrot, bouillon, and sprinkle with garlic powder, onion salt, and pepper. I just do a couple of sprinkles around the skillet. Add the peas and chicken or ham and the scrambled eggs. You want to have all of the ingredients ready to go so you can begin steaming it immediately. Cover and simmer for at least 15 - 20 minutes. Don't peek, you want to keep the moisture in there. After 15 minutes, check the rice. If you need to add a little water, add it around the edge a little at a time and continue steaming until the rice is soft. Wrap in toritillas and enjoy!




3 comments:

Traci said...

You may have made homemade tortillas but, I bought a frozen pizza for dinner tonight. That took skill... Ha Ha They look yummy. If I am ever rich I am going to hire you to cook for me.

The Recipe Reviewer said...

Well, tonight's dinner took a lot of thought. Someone gave me a loaf of bread for a neighbor gift. The kids and I ate the whole loaf, nuked some hot chocolate, and opened a can of fruit cocktail. I think I might need my hubby to get me fast food on his way home from work tonight because now that it's time for bed, I'm hungry!

Traci said...

Glad to see that you have those days too.