Monday, March 16, 2009

Crepe Filling II



Have I mentioned before that I love crepes? I started thinking about these crepes early one Saturday morning and started making them before I realized that I didn't have enough bananas or whipping cream. My wonderful husband offered to go to the grocery store early on a Saturday so I could finish cooking up our breakfast. He likes them too so he wasn't too annoyed about the last minute dash to the store. Making something yummy to eat is never a hassle at this house.

I got this recipe in a handout from a church meeting several years ago. The recipe called for strawberries but I used a mixture of strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. If you wanted to substitute peaches for the berry mixture that would work also. Just use what's in season or in your freezer and whip up a yummy breakfast or dessert.

CREPES

Go here for my basic crepe recipe.

Cream Filling:

1 c. whipping cream
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 block cream cheese (4 oz.)
3 T. cottage cheese (I eyeball it, if it looks like you need more, add a little more.)
3 chopped bananas

  1. Let the cream cheese come to room temperature. Beat until smooth, add sugar and mix well.
  2. In a separate bowl, whip the cream. Stir in vanilla. Add the whipped cream to the cream cheese mixture.
  3. Add cottage cheese and chopped bananas to the cream.
  4. Chill until ready to fill crepes.
Topping:

1 1/2 c. cut-up fresh or frozen fruit (Strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries are a good combination. You could also use peaches.)
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
1 T. cornstarch
1/4 t. almond extract

  1. Heat water to boiling.
  2. Stir in sugar until dissolved.
  3. Whisk in cornstarch and almond extract.
  4. Stir in fruit and cook until slightly thickened.
  5. Serve over filled crepes.

No comments: