Friday, February 6, 2009

Spinach Salad


I tasted this salad at a wedding luncheon a while ago. The unique combination of flavors was delicious and the ingredient list so short that I decided to try it at home. At first my kids didn't want to eat spinach because as one of them said, "I don't like the sound of spinach." Once they realized it was just like lettuce and saw the yummy raspberries, they ate it up. I add the raspberries just before serving so that they are still slightly frozen when you eat the salad. It's delicious that way. At the luncheon it was served with a raspberry vinaigrette but I knew my kids wouldn't like that kind of dressing so I pureed raspberries with my hand blender and voila...instant, sweet and tangy dressing.

SPINACH SALAD

spinach
frozen raspberries
3 T. slivered almonds
1/2 c. sugar

  1. Heat sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. It will begin to melt and turn to liquid. At this point add the slivered almonds. The mixture will begin to caramelize and the granules should be all dissolved. Keep a close eye on this...you don't want to scorch it. As soon as it starts to carmelize, remove from heat. Pour almond mixture out onto a plate that is sprayed with cooking spray. Let cool. Break into small pieces and crumble over the salad.
  2. Puree about a half cup of raspberries to use as dressing.
  3. Divide spinach onto individual salad plates. Sprinkle with almonds, add frozen raspberries, top with pureed raspberry dressing, serve.