Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ginger Cookies


These cookies are surprisingly addicting for a dessert that has no chocolate in it! Our preschool teacher Miss Denise served these at our Christmas program. I instantly loved the flavor and chewy texture and was pleased with how well they kept their softness in the cookie jar. My kids love to help by rolling them in the sugar. Gather your family and have a baking activity!

GINGER COOKIES

1 1/2 c. shortening
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. molasses
2 eggs
4 c. flour
4 t. baking soda
1 t. ground cloves
1/4 t. nutmeg
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt
1 t. vinegar
1 t. vanilla
granulated sugar

  1. Cream together shortening and sugar.
  2. Add molasses and eggs, mix well.
  3. Add vinegar and vanilla.
  4. Combine dry ingredients and slowly add to the mixture.
  5. Roll into 1-inch balls and coat in granulated sugar.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Yum! I am going to try these,

ibanezfam said...

I make these with whole wheat flour and brown sugar... for awhile I was off the white stuff and that's why I tried the substitutions. Anyway, they were really good and had a little more fiber than normal.

The Recipe Reviewer said...

I like to try different flours too. I love my mill...it helps me sneak in oat/barley/bean flour...you get the idea!