Monday, February 16, 2009

Shredded Sweet Pork


I saw this recipe in the Deseret News food section and decided I needed to test it out. Once I put it together, it cooked all by itself and was delicious. The only thing I would do differently is use a larger roast. Mine was between 3 and 4 pounds and in the end I ended up with too much sauce for the amount of meat that I had. I also omitted the cilantro. I served this on rolls-our favorite ones are from Wal-mart believe it or not. They are called French Steak Rolls and you get 2 dozen for $3.75. They are thick enough to hold a juicy filling like this but still have a nice chewy texture. (Also good for French Dip sandwiches.) You could also serve it on tacos or in pita bread.

SHREDDED SWEET PORK

5 lb. pork roast
1 T. cooking oil
1 chopped onion (or 2 T. dried onion)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 20 oz. bottle of Coca-Cola, may be caffeine-free but not diet
2 t. salt
2 t. cumin
1 t. chili powder
2 small cans green chiles (I used mild)
1 19 oz. can red encilada sauce (I used mild)
1 c. salsa (again, I used mild)
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. fresh cilantro, chopped

  1. Pour cooking oil in a large roasting pan. Add onion and garlic and lightly brown the roast on all sides.
  2. Pour in Coca-Cola, sprinkle on the salt, cumin, and brown sugar. Cover and cook at 275 degrees for 5 - 6 hours (or use a slow cooker on low for 5 - 6 hours.)
  3. When the roast is done, pour off the liquid and allow the fat to rise to the top. This will take a few minutes. Let it sit while you shred the pork. Skim off the fat.
  4. Using two forks, shred the pork, remove the bones and fat.
  5. Add the chiles, enchilada sauce, and salsa to the liquid. Boil over medium-high heat. I added 1 1/2 T. of cornstarch to help thicken the liquid. To do this put a little of the liquid that you cooked the pork in into a cup and dissolve the cornstarch in the cup of liquid. When the rest of the liquid boils, whisk in the cornstarch mixture. It will thicken quickly.
  6. Add pork to thickened liquid.
  7. Serve on rolls or tortillas. akes 5 - 7 cups of pork.

8 comments:

ibanezfam said...

We love those wal-mart rolls too! This looks like a really good recipe for pork, I'm going to try it!

Melissa and Jason said...

That looks delicious! I'm going to have to try it.

KristiBT said...

I'm off to Walmart in search of the rolls - mmmmmm I love crockpot meals that smell good all day! Al is so excited for dinner tonight - I think he dreams of sweet pork on a regular basis.

The Recipe Reviewer said...

Kristi, you make me laugh!

~Jessica~ said...

these sound divine have you tried the peachy pork recipe in the ward cook book?

The Recipe Reviewer said...

J- I haven't tried it, I'll have to look it up.

Traci said...

I am so far behind... I will have to try all these new ones.

The Recipe Reviewer said...

Get cookin' girlfriend!