Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Blueberry Muffins


Not only are these muffins beautiful, they taste fantastic! You will never want to make muffins from a box again. I love the struesel and toasty nut topping. And you can't beat the fresh blueberries. What made these even more appealing was the great deal I got on the blueberries. Smith's had an 8-hour sale on Friday afternoon. The blueberries were priced at $1 per carton. Of course when I got there they were gone so the nice clerk gave me a raincheck and Monday morning, I got a phone call saying they were in. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them. The photo above is the result. We loved them!

Blueberry Muffins-Mad About Muffins Cookbook

6 T. softened butter
2/3 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
2 c. flour
1/2 c. milk
2 c. fresh or frozen blueberies

Streusel Topping:

2 T. softened butter
2 T. brown sugar
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. chopped nuts (I used slivered almonds, you could also use pecans or walnuts.)

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
  3. Beat in the eggs.
  4. Add the vanilla, baking powder, and salt.
  5. Mix in half of the flour and the milk alternately, mixing gently by hand.
  6. Add the remaining flour and milk.
  7. Stir in the blueberries.
  8. Fill greased muffin tins or foil baking cups.
  9. To make the streusel topping, cut the butter into the brown sugar, cinnamon, and walnuts. I used a pastry blender. If you don't have one cut the butter into small pieces and press into the sugar and nuts until crumbly.
  10. Sprinkle the topping over batter before baking the muffins.
  11. Bake 25-30 minutes until lightly browned.
  12. Yield: 1 dozen regular sized muffins.

No comments: