Friday, May 22, 2009

Brownies From Scratch


I love brownies but I've never loved the ones that come from a box. The texture is either too dry or too gooey. I think this recipe is perfect. The brownies are dense, and not too "cakey" or too flat and gooey. The best part is, it's a simple recipe; you dump everything in together, pour it in a pan and bake it for 30 min. Let it cool and voila! Perfect made from scratch brownies. I have three different options for topping them off. With all of the potlucks that are just around the corner this is one recipe you'll have to try.

BROWNIES FROM SCRATCH

2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. flour
1/2 c. baking cocoa (I use Dutch or Black Cocoa)
1 t. salt
5 eggs
1 c. vegetable oil
1 t. vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients. Beat until smooth. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Topping variations:

#1 Sprinkle 1 c. chocolate chips on raw batter BEFORE baking.

#2 Sprinkle 1/2 c. chocolate chips & 1/2 c. white chips on raw batter BEFORE baking.

#3 Mint layer ingredients. Combine the following while brownies are baking/cooling:

Mint Layer:

2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. melted butter
2 T. milk
1/2 t. peppermint extract
2 drops green food coloring

Beat until smooth, spread over cooled brownies then...

Glaze:

3/4 c. chocolate chips
3 T. butter

Combine chocolate chips and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at 30 second intervals until melted. Be careful so you don't scorch the chocolate. If you burn it, it will not spread well. Let stand 2 minutes. Spread evenly over the mint layer. Refrigerate brownies until ready to serve.

2 comments:

Jenni S said...

YUM, I've got to try this one! 5 eggs! That's crazy!!!

Wendy said...

I just put a batch of these in the oven. I added white chocolate chips and pecans. I can't wait to try them. I am a big brownie fan.